Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Serious Twenty-Three

The October Memoir and Backstory Blog Challenge Continues...

Serious Twenty-Three
As I began my twenty-third year, I was longing for a serious relationship. I'd just gotten over the break-up from a girl I liked. We had both wanted other things. She wanted to be serious... just not with me. I wanted to be serious with her... but my feelings didn't matter. That's the way love is sometimes. It's nothing personal. It just feels like it sometimes.

After a trip with my parents and sister to Bryce Canyon, I met someone new. She was a friend of my sister and I was soon bowled over by her charm and humor. We dated for a long time, but I eventually lost interest. I can't even remember why now. I'm sure it was the usual story that the connection just waned.

I liked her... a lot. But coming to a crossroads, we decided to think about our relationship over spring break. She went with her family to California and I went with my friend on a ski trip to Canada. When we get back, she wants to get closer and I want to break up.

I tell her she'll always be a relationship that I'll regret walking away from. I hurt her, just as I've been hurt by others. It's not pretty and I hate myself afterwards.

College Life
I still working on my generals in school, but I try starting out in childhood speech therapy. The professor says upfront the the course is designed to weed out candidates, but I figure I can handle it. Three tests later with straight F's, I drop the course and have no clue what I want to do next.

The career exams say English, but I want to be able to have a more reliable income. It's another five year before my younger sister discovers Technical Writing and I follow her into the field. But the years preceding that... are full of uncertainty.

3 comments:

  1. Broken hearts and unsure paths. Can't wait for 24!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying some of these. It's been really interesting taking this trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't want those dating years back for anything. I, too, didn't know what to do with my life after university. What to do with an English degree? Such confusing times.
    Jane Ann
    http://www.janeannmclachlan.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts