Sunday, July 7, 2013

Review: John Dies at the End


John Dies at the End
John Dies at the End by David Wong

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



John Dies @ The End, is worth reading if you can overcome the drawbacks.

The Good
I can guarantee that you will never know what to expect in this story. It reads like an ADHD high-school geek on crack, and that ain't bad!

The Bad
First, there is a lot of profanity in this book. I know the whole, 'teens swear' argument, but too often, writers hurt their stories by emphasizing bad language. It wasn't always necessary in this story, and ended up detracting more than highlighting tension.

Second, you never really get close to any of the characters except the narrator. You like and sympathize with them, but never really know them. At least, I didn't form any great attachments to any of the characters.

The Flip Side
Overall, this book was a fun and quick read. The swearing made speed-bumps in the readability of the story, but the insane plot line made we want to keep pushing on. So really, it's somewhere between three and four stars.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. I've heard of this one and was wondering about it. Now I know!

    You'll want to check my blog sometime, cause you've been given the Shine On Award. Come and claim it if you'd like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your way of doing reviews. Simple and to the point.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts