Friday, September 28, 2012

NaNoWriMo Prep Time!

It's time to gear up for again for thirty days and nights of literary abandon. For those of you unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo, November is National Novel Writing Month. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to write 50,000 words between November 1st and November 30th.

It doesn't have to be polished or publishable! But when you're finished, you should have a killer rough draft of that novel you've been wanting to write.

Who you? Yes, you! You know you've always wanted to write a book.

October is the best time to prepare your outline so you have a rough idea where you're going. This doesn't have to sparkle like a wanna-be vampire either. But you should get something down so you have a better plan than I did when I decided to take my writing seriously (it didn't end well...).

The good news is that when you sign up at the National Novel Writing Month website, they'll give you a ton of help in achieving your novel writing dream.

Want outline help? Try these links:
Creative Writing Now: How to Make a Novel Outline
How To Write a Book Now: Writing an Outline of Your Novel

Want a great book for writing your book in a month? I can't recommend Book in a Month by Victoria Lynn Schmidt highly enough. It's one of the Writer's Digest books that I just love. When you're finished using this awesome workbook, you'll have your main plot line drafted and well on your way to a finished novel.

And if you'd like a warm up for NaNoWriMo, try Jane Ann McLachlan's October Memior and Backstory Blog Challenge. This will get your creative juices flowing and might even give you some ideas for NaNoWriMo!

Good luck and may the odds be ever... well... just get writing.  ;)

6 comments:

  1. i did camp nano in august. finished under 50k, i'm beefing it up now... love the tracking and intensity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love that NaNoWriMo cartoon! That looks about right. :-D

    I've never done it, but someday, maybe. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Anthony,

    I came over from Shallee's blog. Nice to 'meet' you. You have some interesting stuff here. Failed at NaNo last year, but I do have a few chapters of a good novel-to-come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did NaNo last year and Script Frenzy in April, but they've killed the Script part. So sad, loved challenging myself with something new. Hope this year I finish a romance set in 3036. Have the out line and first chapter, now to finish it!
    Thanks for the reminder to get ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tony, I came over from the Healthy Writers Club. It's great to meet you!

    I'm not doing NaNo, bu I did BuNo last June and ended up with a first draft of my next novel. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved NaNo-last year was my first time, but I've been gearing up for this November.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts